Want to learn how to steam artichokes in a pressure cooker? You’re in the right place!
Artichokes are vegetables that you either love or hate. But even if you’re not a fan, there’s no denying that they can be intimidating to cook.
You can steam the artichokes in many ways, whether with a steamer like Ninja Foodi, a microwave, a stovetop, an instant pot, or an oven.
However, you can also steam artichokes in your pressure cooker. It is one of the best ways to quickly and easily prepare them for dinner.
Read on for our step-by-step guide on how to steam artichokes in your pressure cooker like a pro!
How To Steam Artichokes In a Pressure Cooker Like A Pro
Picking the Perfect Artichoke
The first step is picking the perfect artichoke. You can find them at most grocery stores in spring and summer.
Look for ones with tightly closed leaves, deep green coloration, and no discoloration or brown spots.
Avoid buying an overly large artichoke—it will be too big to fit inside your pressure cooker. And make sure it feels heavy for its size; this indicates an artichoke with plenty of water content.
Preparing Your Pressure Cooker
Once you have your perfect artichoke, it’s time to prepare your pressure cooker. Pour 1 cup of water into the pot, then place a steamer basket inside.
Place each artichoke in the steamer basket to stand upright (the stem should face down).
Securely close and lock the lid on top of the pot, then turn it to “sealing” mode so that no steam escapes while cooking.
Cooking Your Artichokes
Now it’s time to cook! Set your pressure cooker on high heat and set the timer for 10 minutes.
Once done, release all remaining pressure inside by turning off the heat and allowing the steam valve to open naturally (this could take up to 10 minutes).
Carefully remove each artichoke and test with a fork—they should be tender but still slightly firm when done correctly.
If you need more cooking time, return them to the pot for another 2 minutes before testing again.
Once your cooked artichoke has cooled down enough to handle safely, enjoy it with melted butter or mayonnaise for dipping.
Have fun exploring different herbs and spices, too- garlic powder and parsley are always a classic combo but feel free to get creative with whatever flavors you like best.
What Is The Best Pressure Cooker For Steaming Artichokes?
The best pressure cooker for steaming artichokes has enough space to fit the artichoke and the steamer basket.
We recommend going for a 6-quart or larger size for maximum cooking results. Also, buy one that’s safe and easy to use—your health and safety should be your top priority.
Some of the best pressure cooker recommendations are:
CHEF iQ Smart Pressure Cooker
- THE CHEF iQ APP: Connect your Smart Cooker to the CHEF iQ App via WiFi and Bluetooth. Access 600+ Guided Cooking recipes and culinary how-to videos,...
- BUILT-IN SCALE: Use the precise built-in scale to easily measure ingredients and cook by weight, simplifying both prep and cleanup-no measuring cups...
- AUTO PRESSURE RELEASE: Automatically releases steam at the end of pressure cooking for increased safety and convenience. Programmed with 3 pressure...
- GUIDED COOKING: Guided Cooking recipes provide step-by-step video cooking instructions and enable you to send precise cooking parameters to your Smart...
Instant Pot Duo Crisp Ultimate Lid
- 13-in-1 FUNCTIONALITY: Air Fryer, Pressure Cooker, Sauté, Slow Cook, Steam, Warm, Roast, Bake, Broil, Dehydrate, Yogurt, Sous Vide and Bread Proofing
- THE INSTANT POT THAT AIR FRIES: From the makers of the best-selling Duo series comes a pressure cooker and air fryer combo, with removable air fryer...
- EASY-TO-READ INSTRUCTIONS: The only multi-cooker with step-by-step cooking instructions on a large LCD display making cooking simple!
- STAINLESS STEAL AIR FRYER COVER: We thought everything! Protective inner stainless steal cover keeps the air frying heating unit clean during pressure...
Ninja FD302 Foodi
- TENDERCRISP TECHNOLOGY: Combines the best of pressure cooking and air frying all in one nonstick pot to quickly lock in juices and swap lids for a...
- COOK FOR LARGE GROUPS: The nonstick 6.5-quart cooking pot fits up to a 5-lb. chicken or a 6-lb. roast for creating meals for large groups.
- LARGE AIR FRYING CAPACITY: Use the 4.6-quart Cook & Crisp Plate to Make up to 3 lbs. of hand-cut French fries with up to 75% less fat than traditional...
- NESTING BROIL RACK: The stainless-steel nesting broil rack provides the ability to steam, broil, add an additional layer of capacity to your cooking,...
Here are frequently asked questions about steaming artichokes with a pressure cooker.
How Long Does It Take For Artichokes To Steam?
Artichokes should take about 10 minutes to steam in a pressure cooker. However, it can vary depending on the size and type of artichoke.
Can I Steam Frozen Artichokes?
Yes, you can steam frozen artichokes in your pressure cooker. Just make sure to thaw them before cooking and add an extra minute to the cooking time.
Do I Need To Add Liquid When Steaming Artichokes?
Always add at least 1 cup of liquid (water or broth) when steaming artichokes in a pressure cooker. This helps prevent any burning and allows your food to cook evenly.
Is It Better To Steam Or Boil Artichokes?
It depends on your preference. Steaming artichokes in a pressure cooker are quicker and use less liquid than boiling, but some prefer the flavor of boiled artichokes.
Whichever way you choose, add enough liquid to prevent burning or sticking.
There you have it—your very own pressure-cooked artichokes! Serve them hot with melted butter or olive oil for dipping alongside some crusty bread…or enjoy them as is.
Now that you know how easy it is to steam artichokes in a pressure cooker, you can enjoy their fresh flavor year-round without hassle.
Last update on 2023-05-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API